During the past five years, the attorneys at Piper & Bowers, PSC have achieved successful results in greater than thirty-seven cases in litigation. These cases include:
- A medical malpractice case, in which we represented the defendant hospital, was dismissed by the court upon our motion after the jury had been empaneled, but before opening arguments.
- A medical malpractice case wherein the court granted our motion for directed verdict after presentation of the plaintiff’s case-in-chief.
- Three medical malpractice defense cases were resolved by grant of our motions for summary judgment.
- Six medical malpractice defense cases were resolved by Involuntary Dismissal of the plaintiff’s Complaint.
- Eleven medical malpractice defense cases were resolved by Voluntary or Agreed Dismissal without settlement. In those cases, sufficient proof was developed during discovery that plaintiffs were convinced that they would be unable to prevail against our clients at trial.
- Fourteen medical malpractice defense cases were resolved through alternative dispute resolution with settlements favorable to our clients.
- One case was resolved after reversal of an administrative determination on appeal and in favor of our clients.
- We successfully defended and resolved two civil investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice and Kentucky IOG and obtained results favorable to our clients in those instances.
- We also successfully defended twenty-seven physicians in Civil Investigative Demands by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Kentucky, resolving each without penalty.